Your AC technician suggest AC Gas Filling? This article for you. Having confirmed that your air conditioner is well maintained and it’s alright, you will need a refill to your air conditioner to enable you keep moving and in case the level of the gas in the air is low. The Air conditioning gas is the toxic or the chemical used to help the process of cooling. They contain the coils of the air conditioner which helps in humidifying the indoor air.
We have different types of gas that are used to refill the AC. The gas makes the air conditioning possible since they are contained with the coils of an air conditioner. These liquid gases are very efficient because they cool and dehumidify the indoor air effectively. However, the process of refilling the AC gas is very dangerous and requires a lot of care and safety measures.
Before we read how the procedure of AC gas filling is done. It’s very important to highlight few types of AC gases since not all air conditioner work within a common refrigerant.
Types of AC gases
Puron (R410A)-This type of gas is hydro-fluorocarbon and is commonly used in the latest air conditioners.It doesn’t affect the ozone layer and is embraced by many as a residential air conditioning. The gas is very efficient in heat transfer helping the AC unit to doing lesser work for comparable amount of cooling. The gas also works at a very high pressure.
Freon (R22) – this type of gas is hydro- chlorofluorocarbon. It contributes in the ozone layer reduction. This type of gas is not recommendable for residential air conditioners. It’s known to have harmful effects on the environment
R32 refrigerant – Mildly flammable and low Global Warming Potential, zero Ozone Depleting Potential.
It’s always good to note that the Air conditioner refrigerant is toxic and can easily cause frostbite. So, kindly it’s very important to read below the highlighted precautions you need to take before you begin the process of refilling the AC gas.These liquid gases are very efficient because they cool and dehumidify the indoor air effectively. However, the process of refilling the AC gas is very dangerous and one is called to be careful
- Always ensure that you are using the gloves.
- Your eyes are vital, so kindly wear protective eyeglasses.
- A Vacuum pump
- A horse power
- A set of AC manifold gauge.
How is AC Gas Filling Done? AC Gas Filling Procedure
- Having the factual tools and safety attires, filling AC gas is usually a very easy thing. To begin with you will be required to check and locate the low side that is the suction line and the discharge line too that is the high side from the air conditioner.
- The two are basically set behind a window AC and in a riven AC in the out-of-doors unit. The suction line is cool the touch and its placed or located just right above the discharge line. However, the discharge line is warm to the touch and it’s located under the suction line. To recharge the gas in to the AC you will use the suction line.
- To enable you fix in the lines, you will be required to unscrew the bolts of the suction line. Loosen the screws to let the gas out since these screws act as the valve used to draw the gas. The screw is efficient and it won’t let the refrigerant flow in or out until it is closed. However, to enable you refill the AC gas you will have to loosen the screw.
- To enable you connect the blue hose of the AC, you will have to remove the bolt fixed on the left side and then connect the blue hose of the AC manifold gauge to the port you unscrewed. Ensure that the yellow pump is connected to the vacuum pump. After all is set, make sure that all the air is removed from the system. While handling this step is more careful since if any moisture penetrates inside the compressor it will damage it.
- Ensure and confirm that all the valves of the AC manifold gauge are well closed. Thereafter, you link the yellow hose to the refrigerant tank. Slightly loosen the yellow hose at the manifold end. Make sure that the hose doesn’t have any air inside and it’s always good to confirm the same by opening and closing the cylinder knob. This will help to release any air which may be inside the pipes. After doing that remember to tighten the yellow hose.
- Before turning on the AC, open the low side knob of the manifold and then close it. After doing that turn on the AC and wait until the compressor thrills in.
- At this point it’s good and advisable to keep closer eye on the gauge
Since when the compressor starts you will have to open and close it for few seconds. Also monitor where the pressure settles in the gauge you will need to keep on opening and closing for efficacy. You will have to repeat the procedure until the pressure settles between 60-70PSI.
- Always remember that if you release all the gas at once, you can easily cause damage to the compressor, that’s why the AC refrigerant is filled in small amounts.
- Close the manifold valve on reaching the 60-70 PSI range. Then you close the manifold valve and close the refrigerant tank knob. Lastly you unscrew the blue hose from the suction line and also the yellow hose from the refrigerant tank.
Reasons for AC gas leakage
Listed below are the reasons as to why we have gas leakage.
- The improper installation
- Manufacturing defects
- Accidental damages to copper pipe or rusted valves.
- Wear and tear.
As written above now you know everything about AC gas leakage, refilling, and the types of gases used and the precautions to take. Always ensure to follow the procedure given in AC Gas Filling.